Climate and Energy Efficient Cooking in Schools: Qualification and Transformation in Canteens
Out-of-Home-catering is gaining in importance in children’s and youth’s nutrition: in 2009 more than 45.000 schools in Germany provided community catering. Until now however, questions concerning climate and energy efficiency play no role in school meals. At this point the project comes into play. It analyses the food use, the energy consumption, the available and used kitchen technology and all processes from purchase to waste disposal in 24 canteens in all-day elementary schools. Subsequently menus and processes are optimized to maximize CO2 and energy savings. Following a successful test phase, a qualification campaign for kitchen staff is planned.
The following products will be developed.
- A KEEKS-Guideline, which offers (school) canteens a practical approach to increase their climate and energy efficiency
- A KEEKS-web app for climate and energy efficient meals in school canteens, which shows the differences between various meals
- A KEEKS-e-cookbook for community catering in schools, which is also available offline
- A KEEKS-platform for the general public
- A KEEKS-manual for further education of school kitchen managers and vocational school teachers, which demonstrates how knowledge about climate and energy efficiency in the kitchen can be imparted
- 10 KEEKS-3D animated videos illustrating the topic across all age groups in an entertaining way
- Various KEEKS-concepts, materials and guidelines for different settings of continued education, and
- A concept for transformation and transfer to further the dissemination and transfer of results into other fields of community catering (e.g. company canteens, university canteens) as well as into politics.
The tasks of the Wuppertal Institute:
- Description of the practicable Indicator catalogue for a sustainability assessment of menus in school meals
- Cooperation of various items: Guidelines, transformation strategy, e-cookbook, Web-app, videos, training manual and brochure
- Establishment of a transismation concept for school and out-of-home catering