North Rhine-Westphalia is rich in raw materials and has a leading position in Europe with regard to the production volumes of minerals such as limestone, dolomite, sand, gravel, and clay. Due to associated land use conflicts and environmental issues, in particular the continuing sand and gravel mining is controversial in politics and the public. The aim of the project is to develop the basis for the development of a country-specific resource strategy for minerals in North Rhine-Westphalia.
The project comprises the following work packages:
1. Future demand for minerals in North Rhine-Westphalia
2. Optimisation of land uses for mining and resource conservation
3. Increased use of alternative construction materials and wood
4. Environmental protection, nature conservation and agriculture
5. Legal framework at the state, federal and EU level.