The mission statement "zero waste" is an elementary component of the Berlin coalition agreement (2016-2021). A central measure for achieving this is the reuse of products - however, so far products are rarely reused. Therefore, the project Re-Use Berlin 2019 aims to strengthen the reuse of used products in Berlin. For this purpose, comprehensive operational and conceptual measures are planned building on the completed projects "Study on the Reuse of Products" (2017) and "Zero Waste Berlin" (2018).
The project is carried out under the lead of the Wuppertal Institute in cooperation with Ecologic Institute, IZT – Institute for Future Studies and Technology Assessment, pulswerk and u.e.c. Berlin. Additionally, cooperations with WIR e. V. and CRCLR GmbH are planned.
The project comprises the following activities:
- representation of institutions on a website in order to help citizens to find the right place for handing in their used products
- bundling existing second-hand shops in Berlin under a common brand in cooperation with the Re-Use Berlin movement
- planning of collection activities for used products in several districts of Berlin
- conception of several reuse events that can be implemented by the Re-Use Berlin action group in order to sensitize citizens for waste prevention
- organisation of three dialogue meetings with the Re-Use Berlin action group
- conducting an ideas competition that seeks ideas to strengthen reuse in Berlin
- carrying out a search program of public and private land to identify buildings that can be used for reuse
- development of a concept for a reuse fair in Berlin
- development of a business model for a "store of the future"