Education and Academic Training
- Doctorate in the field of Energy Technology at University of Stuttgart, Germany
- University of Dortmund, Germany. University Diploma in Chemical Engineering
- Since 2010: Member of the Wuppertal Institute's management as Authorised Representative
- Since 2008: Professor at the Schumpeter School of Business and Economics at the University of Wuppertal
- 2008 - 2010: Acting Head of the Wuppertal Institute
- Since 2006: Vice President of the Wuppertal Institute
- 2003 - 2010: Director of Research Group 1 "Future Energy and Mobility Structures"
- 1993 - 2003: Project Co-ordinator and Deputy Director of Energy Division at the Wuppertal Institute
- 1991 - 1993: Research Fellow and PhD Student at the University of Stuttgart, Germany
- Energy systems and energy scenario analysis
- Greenhouse gas mitigation strategies and multi-criteria evaluation
- Renewable energies and innovative energy technologies (system integration aspects)
- National and international energy and climate policy
- Market development of new technologies
- Infrastructure analysis
- Research and technology policy
- Technology assessment and forecasting
- Green entrepreneurship
- Sustainable urban infrastructures
- Member of the "Seoul International Scientific Advisory Council (SIEAC)"
- Chair of the Virtual Institute "Non-Technical Aspects of the Energiewende in North Rhine-Westphalia
- Member of the Executive Board Clean Tech NRW (co-chair)
- Chair of the Scientific Advisory Council "Innovation City Ruhr"
- Speaker of the Directory Board Research Association Renewable Energy (FVEE )
- Member of the Science and Technology Advisory Board Desertec University Network
- Member of the Advisory Board Urban Planning of the City of Munich
- Member of the Coordination Committee "Climate Plan in North Rhine-Westphalia"
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Competence Network "Kraftwerkstechnik" (Power Plant Technology) of the Government of the Land North Rhine-Westphalia
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board EON-RWTH Aachen Research Center
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board Energiewirtschaftliches Institut (EWI) University Cologne
- Member of the Scientific Board "Renewable Energy" (peer-reviewed Journal)
- Member of the Expert Panel "European Green Capital"
- Member of the "Energy Academy" of the "Handelsblatt"-Journal
Selected Former Activities
- Coordinating Lead Author of the IPCC 5th Assessment Report (2011 - 2014 )
- Chair of the Competition "Innovation City Ruhr"
- Coordinating Lead Author of the IPCC Special Report Renewable Energies (responsible for Mitigation potential and costs) (2009 - 2011)
- Member of the Advisory Board of the German Biomass Centrum (co-chair 2007 - 2011)
- International Steering Committee "World Renewable Energy Congress 2008"
- Member of the Enquête Commission "The Effects of Long-Term Increasing Prices for Oil and Gas on Economy and Consumers in North Rhine-Westphalia" installed by the State Parliament of North Rhine-Westphalia (2006 - 2009)
- Scientific Committee "International German Hydrogen Conference" in 2006 and 2008
- Advisory Board of the Immission Panel of the German Bundesland Brandenburg (2005 - 2008)
- Delegation of the Federal Government "Renewables 2004"
- Roster of Experts of the STAP/Global Environmental Facility
- University of Wuppertal, Schumpeter School of Business and Economics „Dynamic development of markets" (since winter term 2007/08)
- University of Koblenz-Landau "European Energy Policy" (since summer term 2005)
- University of Kassel, Master programme Renewable Energies "Energy Economy" (winter term 2006/07)
- University of Hagen, Master programme INFERNUM "System analysis (winter term 2004 )
- University of Applied Sciences Wiesbaden "Energie und Umwelt" (Energy and Environment) in Environmental Studies from the winter term 1997/98 until 2001/02
- Witten Herdecke University "Ökologisches Wirtschaften" (Ecological Management) in the summer and winter term 1996